Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Meatballs and Mayhem

S. had strep and has been home for two days. N. is grouchy and crabby. Today, they go back to school. You would think I would be happy, but I have to go to the dentist for two fillings and to have my crown replaced (apparently the old dentist did it wrong, surprise surprise.)
I do have a new Blackberry which I am hoping to have up and running by tonight so that makes me smile. Oh and last night we had yummy meatballs. I have always struggled with meatballs. Too tough, too small, too big, not cooked enough, cooked too much, no flavor, too spicy... you get the idea. You know, I am Jewish, my mother never cooked. She made Shake and Bake and TV Dinners. And when Weight Watchers started making frozen meals, we were immediate converts. So Italian cooking is a bit of a stretch for me. But I have tried. And yesterday a friend of mine mentioned "Fried Meatballs" and how it is an all day event for her, but everyone loves them. I would have asked for the recipe, but I don't do all day cooking. I needed an easier version. So I read a million recipes, watched a few videos, and I am pretty happy with the result...

Not a Whole Day Meatballs and Easy Sauce

2 pounds ground beef (I used sirlion, because I usually do)
2 eggs
1 onion diced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup skim milk
handful of dried parsley and basil mixed together
1 t Janes mixed up salt
3 T of butter (softened)
2 T olive oil
1/4 cup beef broth
1 large can tomato sauce
1 large can crushed tomatoes with basil garlic and oregano

Heat up pan and add a bit of the olive oil. Saute the chopped onions until soft and translucent.

Set onions aside to cool.

Put the bread crumbs an a small bowl, add the milk, stir and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the 2 eggs, add the meat, the Parsley, Basil, Mixed up salt and or any spices you might like. Then add the wet bread crumbs, the cooled onions and the softened butter. Mix until combined with your hands. (Don't over mix, it can toughen the meat)

Add the remaning olive oil to your pan and heat. When the pan is hot start rolling ping pong sized meatballs and dropping them in. Shake pan around often to evenly brown the balls and keep them as round as possible. Do not crowd the pan. (It took me a few batches).

When you are done, set aside as many as you want to use in tonights sauce and let the rest cool on the counter. When they are cool freeze in a tupperware. Once they are frozen you can transfer to a ziplock bag and keep in the freezer for another meal. (I add them frozen to sauce and cook them up)

Add a little beef broth to the pan and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom. Then add the cans of tomatoes. At this point you can add a drop of sugar or some spices to taste. Once it is warm and combined and you like the taste, add the meatballs and cook for at least 30 minutes.

I served this with Rotini and a loaf of Italian bread.

It was a nice ending to a difficult day.

1 comment:

  1. funny story, Hubbie needed meatballs one night he just had to have them, so I gave him directions from my hernia recoverybed, and they came out bigger then mine!

    ReplyDelete