Friday, February 12, 2010

Scones....oooops, was I supposed to get them gifts?

As I walked Nathan into school today I noticed all the moms had gifts for the teachers.

I no longer feel pressured to buy gifts for the whole class. We make homemade valentines. It makes me crazy when mom's spend a lot of money on crap just to show off... what? how much money and time they have? I would prefer my children to do the work, to show their friends they love them. Isn't that the point? I buy doilies and glitter and paper and markers and pom poms and glue and they go to town. It's fun, and messy.

But I do love Nathan's teachers. And they appreciate my baking. So I ran home to bake up some scones.

4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, cold
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a big bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Grate butter large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work butter into dry ingredients till it looks like lumpy sand.

Whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.

Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to finish mixing until it comes together. At this point you can add any mix ins you like. I split it in half and did half craisens and white chocolate and half mini chocolate chips. I love cinnamon chips, but I don't have any. Butterscotch chips and raisins is yummy. Any kind of citrus zest. You could even make these savory with herbs and cheese. Yum!

Place on a lightly floured surface and cut as desired. I used a heart shaped cookie cutter, but you can just make triangles or squares.

Bake until golden, about 12 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.

Now I have to pack them in some pretty bags and bring them to the teachers.

I am taking the week off from blogging, but I will be back... with a tan. ;)

6 comments:

  1. Yummy scones! I'd rather get for the teachers, soo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious!! The teachers will love them! My son is home sick so we'll give his teacher a little something next week - I'm baking some biscotti for her. Thanks for linking this up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for providing the opportunity Lisa! They really came out yummy, just the right balance of moist and crumbly.

    I had the misshapen one this morning with some grass fed butter. OMG! I am sure the biscotti is great too, I love biscotti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great of you! Homemade gifts are always so special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we don't send anything for the teachers at the school. When I worked no one brought me gifts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy. I love scones. Welcome to SITS!

    ReplyDelete