Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Big Family Meat Ball

My kids like meatloaf, but most of the time the way it looks turns them off, or maybe it is just the name of it. I don't know. I make it in a similar way to the way I make meatballs, they should love it. But it often goes over like a ton of bricks. No pun intended.

So may I present to you, the family sized meatball! It is really just a round meatloaf, but shhhhh, I wont tell if you don't. Serve it with pasta if that helps.

2 pounds of chop meat (turkey, sirloin or the meatloaf mix you see in the store)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 small onion, sauteed to soften it up a bit.
1 sleeve of crushed saltines, or ritz or whatever crackers or breadcrumbs you have on hand, about 2 1/2 cups.
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar

Mush it all together in a medium sized bowl. When mixed, push into the bowl and flatten the top, then invert the bowl onto a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 f oven for one hour or until cooked through.

I like a glaze of 1 cup Ketchup, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 T mustard and 2 T vinegar, spread over the top for the last 10 minutes of cooking, but my kids don't like it that way, so I usually leave it off.

Serve with mashed potatoes, and a vegetable. Or with Pasta to sell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment