My Mother in Law's birthday is today. My Aunt is coming over and she doesn't like too much chocolate. Can you imagine?? In any case, I decided to go with a crumb cake. I adapted this from
Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake
For the crumb topping:
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground fresh nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 stick plus two tablespoons butter, melted
1 3/4 cups AP flour
For the cake:
1/3 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons softened butter, cut into 8 pieces.
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8-inch-square baking pan. (I use the baking pam)
2. To make crumbs in a large bowl, whisk sugars, spices and salt into melted butter until smooth. Then, add flour with a spatula or wooden spoon. Push it down into the bottom of the bowl. It will look and feel like a solid dough.
3. To prepare cake, in a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add butter and a spoonful of sour cream mixture and mix on medium speed until flour is moistened. Increase speed and beat for 30 seconds. Add remaining sour cream mixture in two batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition, and scraping down the sides of bowl with a spatula. Add chips and mix for 20 seconds.
4. Spread batter into prepared pan.
5. Using your fingers, break topping mixture into big crumbs.
6. Sprinkle over cake. Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. While warm you can sprinkle with more chocolate chips. Cool completely before serving.
I also made some chicken parmesan and a baked ziti. I don't think I feel like baking bread now, so I guess it will be canned bread and steamed broccoli to go with it.
Happy Birthday Nanny!
1 day ago