Saturday, March 6, 2010

Maple Butternut Squash Soup

Still with the soup. I know I know. And it really is nice outside today. But I had a squash in my fridge, all cut up and ready to cook.

1 T butter
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 green apple, peeled cored and cubed
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable)
1/2 cup maple syrup
pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in soup pot and saute onion, carrot and celery for around 5 minutes. Add squash, apple and broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for at least 10 minutes, until the squash is fork tender. Add spices. Blend with immersion blender until smooth. Then add the maple syrup and taste. I usually end up adding some mixed up salt or other seasoning at this point.

It goes well with my chicken tenders which I am frying with abandon. I mean, the soup is healthy, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment