Sunday, January 10, 2010

Balsamic Onion Pizza

My husband always says, "What's for lunch?" on weekends. I am often tempted to say, "bologna sandwich? Grilled cheese?" But today, I am making a treat.

Balsamic Onion Pizza

1 Cup Ricotta cheese
1 egg yolk
2 sweet onions
2 shallots
1 pizza dough (I am using a ball I got from the local Pizzeria, but the canned would work fine)
2 cups of freshly grated Gruyere cheese
2 T of freshly grated Parmigiana Reggiano
2 T butter
2 T Olive Oil
1 T Garlic Powder
1 t balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut onion and Shallots into slices. In a saute pan melt butter and Olive oil. Over a medium heat, saute onions/ shallots till translucent. Then lower heat to Medium Low and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Balsamic Vinegar and cook for ten minutes more.

While the onions are cooking, roll out Pizza Dough to desired shape and put on seasoned or greased pizza stone. (A greased cookie sheet would be fine.) Mix Ricotta with egg yolk, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Spread ricotta mixture on the pizza dough leaving an edge of about 1/2 inch. Grate Gruyere and Parmesan and set aside. pre-heat oven to 425 F. When onions are done, spread evenly over ricotta. Top with Gruyere and Parmesan and cook for about 15 minutes or until dough is cooked and cheese is melty.

Sorry about the lack of photo's I need a new camera.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Janna, Thanks for the question, and for reading! Let me know if you make it!

    The egg yolk is tgo add richness and depth to the ricotta. I usually add a whole egg if I am using a pint for, let's say Lasagne, but for only one cup I just add the yolk. Along with some spices. Otherwise I find it to be rather bland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really yummy! How I wish I had not thrown away my pizza stone. Someone have a Pampered Chef party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could do it on a cookie sheet, just spray with pam first. It was really really good.

    ReplyDelete