Saturday, January 2, 2010

Chilly Night Turkey Chili

The Christmas decorations are down. I love that more than I even love putting them up. The clean, the organization, wonderful.

Paul and I had a delightful, kid-free NYeve. I made a lovely romantic meal, but I am having technical difficulties. My camera died a while back (That is why all my pics were unfocused, I really am not such a bad photographer), and now I have my mom's camera, but she gave me the wrong chord to download. Blah Blah Blah. Anyway, I think I will get that post ready and bring it to you closer to Valentine's Day. Planning a romantic dinner for two? Let me help you! Ahi Tuna and Jasmine Rice with peanut dipping sauce. Candle light, good wine, good company... So go ahead and get Grandma and Grandpa (or Aunt Good-Sister) to take the kids that night and I will bring you the rest ASAP!

Meanwhile, tonight I am making Turkey Chili.

Turkey Chili

2 T olive oil

1 yellow onion, finely diced

1 red bell pepper, finely diced

2 gloves of garlic, minced

1 lb ground turkey (you could do beef or leave this out if you prefer vegetarian)1 T Tomato Paste

1 can crushed tomatoes

1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed

1 can white beans, drained and rinsed

1 can broth (Chicken, veggie, beef, whatever your taste)

(These beans can be altered to taste or two what you have on hand)

1 can refried beans

1 or 2 T Chipotle Chili Powder (to taste)

1 T cumin

1 t oregano

1t thyme

salt and pepper to taste

Instructions-

In a medium sauce pan heat 2 T of olive oil. Saute onion and pepper until soft and translucent. Add Garlic and saute for a minute or two. Remove veggies to a bowl.

Add turkey and brown. Put veggies back into pot.

Add tomato paste, cumin, oregano and thyme and saute for a minute or two to combine spices with the meat/ veggie mixture. Add crushed tomatoes, can of broth, and three cans of rinsed beans. Mix well.

Once this is warm, taste it and see what it needs. I always add salt and pepper, if my tomatoes are too bitter I add a pinch of sugar. For more heat add the second T of Chipotle Pepper or a dash or two of hot sauce. Another way to add heat is to swap the bell pepper for a jalapeno or other spicy pepper, I don't do this because I don't like big bites of spice.

Lastly, once the flavor is right, I add the can of refried beans to thicken it up.

Heat, taste, adjust, you get the drill...

Then I leave it simmering for an hour or so. Garnish with shredded cheddar, sour cream, green onions and serve over some yummy cornbread, or rice.




A perfect meal for the surprise snow storm we are having today. I think we are in for a long snowy winter. Good for eating home anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment