Saturday, January 23, 2010

Starting Fresh

I had a long hard week. No good reason, just a rough week. Forgetting things, loosing things, running out of time, patience and energy... You know the kind. But my parents took the kids over night last night and we had a lovely evening with old friends. I woke up this morning, did a spin class at the gym, got my nails done and my eyebrows waxed, went shopping.

Shopping with a gift certificate I won on a wonderful Blog that I just found. http://www.mommyologist.com/

Check her out, she is funny and smart and she gave me $50!!! I got a Winter Jacket for like $5!

I am starting this new week out right. So, dinner will be broccoli Cheddar soup. I have some frozen tilapia too, which I will bread and saute I think. Now, I am not deluding myself into thinking that my children will eat this. So, I will have to make them something else, maybe Pasta with butter. ;)


Broccoli Cheddar Soup

2 T Butter
2 T Olive Oil
3 head of broccoli, chopped (Stems and Leaves included)
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic
3 T flour
4 Cups Chicken Stock
1/2 cup Evaporated Milk
2 cups shredded cheddar
1 can Cheddar cheese soup concentrate
Salt and Pepper

Melt Butter with Olive Oil in heavy bottomed pot.

Saute Broccoli, Onion and Carrot and Onion, salt and pepper, until onions are translucent. About 10 minutes.

Add Sliced Garlic and Saute additional minute or two.

Add Flour and Saute another 3 minutes or so.

Add stock (I used Homemade, but from a box is fine) and bring to a boil.

Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until veggies are soft, add Evaporated milk (Cream would be fine here too if you have some on hand), and puree with an immersion blender.

Add cheese and cheese soup, heat till cheese is melted. Blend some more if you like it really creamy.

Salt and pepper to taste and serve with croutons or bread sticks (I am making garlic bread sticks out of a can of pizza dough).

It is so so good!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that sounds delicious! I know what you mean about the kids, we may have an amazing dinner planned, yet end up with noodles and veggies for them. Sigh.. Sorry you had a rough week, I hope this one is better for you!!

    Visiting from SITS, I'm following you now :)

    ReplyDelete