Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Elise's Not So Dirty Rice

OK, I am functioning. Tonight is chicken cutlets (which is a dumb thing to make after the kitchen has just been cleaned, but I digress), broccoli, and sweet potatoes. But I also have a pound of yummy looking chicken sausage with garlic and sun dried tomatoes
that I need to use, so I am also making this.

Elise's Not So Dirty Rice

4 T Olive Oil
2 Cups long grain rice
5 cups chicken stock
One chopped red pepper
One chopped sweet onion
4 cloves chopped garlic
Garlic powder/ Cayenne Pepper to taste
1 T Fresh herbs
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat 2 T Olive Oil in medium sauce pan. Add 2 cups long grain rice (I used Jasmine because I love the herby taste) and saute for a few minutes. Add 4 cups of chicken stock, stir and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer twenty minutes over a low heat or until stock is absorbed and rice is tender.

Remove Rice to the side.
Heat 2 T olive oil in pan and brown sliced sausage.
When browned add chopped Red Pepper and onion and saute until vegetable are tender.
I actually added maybe 2 T of additional Olive Oil here since the sausage was so low in fat and I didn't want the veggies to burn. About 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic and saute a minute or two more. Season with salt and pepper. Add one cup of chicken stock and then add Garlic powder or Cayenne pepper to taste. Cook until the stock has reduced a little. Add the rice back to the pot and any fresh herbs you have on hand, parsley, thyme, basil, oregano... just a Tablespoon of combined herbs. Stir and serve.


Tomorrow, 4 packet, slow cooker Pot Roast...

Then, Friday? You guessed it... Left overs! I have book club, so everyone else can have a leftover buffet.

I promise, I took pictures. I used Mom's camera so I will send them home to be downloaded and then post them for you.

1 comment:

  1. Puh-leeze. Your rice is super dirty, just like your mind!

    Kidding.

    Thanks to your inspiration, last night I made pork tenderloin with a spice rub made out of actual spices that I put together myself! I got the recipe from my favorite author's website. (Elizabeth Berg.) I was super proud of myself, and would never have done it if you hadn't been putting me in the making-stuff-from-scratch, no-fear mindset!

    Glad you're feeling better.

    k

    ReplyDelete