Saturday, January 9, 2010

Healthy Pancakes, better days.

Thanks for all your kind words, here and on facebook about Recharging and about my Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day. I know we all have them. Two friends have told me that my blog made them feel inadequate. That is very much not my intent. I have a few good tips to share, maybe a cookbook for Child Friendly Meals in me to write, but I certainly shouldn't make any body else feel "less than". I struggle to make these things happen. I have lots of time to do it in, which really helps. Taking care of my family is my full time job, I have no other. Both women who shared those feeling with me, are working moms. Whole different ball game if you ask me. Not they they aren't wonderful mom's who cook and clean and nourish and protect their family, they are. They just wouldn't have the time to write about it like this and tie it up in a pretty little bow. But what they do is no less miraculous, wonderful, valuable, and challenging. Maybe it is they who should make me feel inadequate. But I don't want to go there, we all do our best. This is mine, and I hope you enjoy the ride. Oh and if you get some good recipes along the way, that would be wonderful! I mess up all the time (as evidenced by the Pot Pie Problem in my last entry.)

Here is one for your weekend, it is hard to mess it up.... and it is one of those recipe's that make you feel like Super Mom. Go ahead, you can do it!


Chocolate Chip Applesauce Pancakes
serves 4 children (or two for two days)

1 large egg
1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (If you don't have this, go ahead and use all white this time)
3/4 cup skim milk
1 tbsp agave nectar (Sub with honey or even sugar if you don't have this on hand)
2 tbsp strawberry applesauce (this is what I had on hand, I would use unsweetened next time)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 or 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips

Whisk egg until it’s foamy. Add everything else except the chocolate chips and mix until just combined. Drop batter into prepared pan. I used Pam this time, with just a drop of crisco for the crispy edges. plop a few chips on each pancake, I usually do smiley faces. Cook until golden brown on both sides, flipping once. Nathan eats these with Syrup, Sophia eats them plain. I feel good watching them eat them knowing they are slightly healthier than my usual recipe.

Adapted from a recipe for Lightened Up Raspberry Applesauce Pancakes at http://sarahscucinabella.com (I think hers sound yummy too, but my children wouldn't go near anything with fruit in it. They are however eating oranges after their pancakes, as I type this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment