Monday, January 25, 2010

Holy Monsoon, Batman!





I apologize for the blurry phone picture, but we were running out the door to school in a monsoon type of rain and this is how Nathan came out of his room. Now we are home after a long day of soaking rains, and this is what we snaked on.



Homemade Granola Bars

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup of chopped nuts (I used Pecans)
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T butter
1/4 t kosher salt
2 t vanilla extract
1/2 C mini chocolate chips
1/4 C dried fruit


Line a 9 by 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
Pre heat the oven to 300 F.
First toast the nuts, oats and wheat germ. You can do this on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or in a saute pan on top of the stove. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, salt and vanilla and cook over a low heat until the sugar and butter are melted.
Mix the sugar mixture with the toasted dry ingredients and cook slightly.

Fold in 1/4 C Mini Chocolate chips and/ or any dried fruit you like. I went all chocolate this time.

Press into pan and top with remaining chocolate chips. I used a second piece of parchment to flatten it but you could use a spoon also.

Bake for 20 minutes.

Cool completely and cut into bars.

Next time I am going to crush some pretzels and add them in too. Sweet and salty! Nathan says, "I like these so much I am going to need another one!"












2 comments:

  1. Oh I have been looking for a homemade granola recipe. Yummy thanks!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out pretty crunchy. My kids prefer the chewy ones, and once it cooled they said they couldn't chew it. I may have to try again. I will keep you updated! Let me know if you try it! Thanks for stopping by, I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete